Thursday 18 July 2013
VPAC Head Office front room
Bianca brought in cake! And not just any cake; vegan cake - my favourite!
- While eating delicious cake, we discussed what's been happening in the free software world, including:
- Sites still using Flash for DRM, and associated problems with needing Chrome to get the latest version of Flash. This boils down to sites mandating a specific browser. Hey, 1997 called and want their Internets back!
Nobody panic... but Gallium now has a DirectX9 STATE TRACKER!!
- Other topics far too nefarious to be listed here!
- 18:30 - Alex's software presentation - Raster Storage Archive
- This is a project Alex convinced his work to release as free software!
- Alex prepared a professional video presentation (using Blender!), followed by a Q/A session.
Project page: http://github.com/vpac/rsa
- 19:00 - Ouya - Finally, a modern freedom-respecting gaming console?
Slide presentation! After all, what better way to enjoy a game console than read slides about it?
- Oh I know... Game demos!!
- 0.5.9 released yesterday
- oh, we didn't actually get time to discuss this!!
Pirate Party's take on copyright, patent and privacy (Ben McGinnes, Pirate Party)
20:00 - Dinner at Grill'd in Melbourne Central.
- 21:30 - Finished up.
Sometimes things don't go to plan. That didn't stop us from having a fun night, and it turned out that we were struggling for time with just the two topics. A great night overall.